A Eulogy

My dear uncle, Dr. Santokh Singh, passed away, after being in the hospital for 5 weeks, on the 14th of December, 2011 in Edmonton, Canada.  I was able to see him when he was in the ICU, but couldn't make it to the funeral. This is the Eulogy, I sent for the funeral.


Dear Uncle,

            There are no words to truly express my love and respect for you. When anyone asks how we are related I always tell them it’s the best relationship; it’s not based on blood but on pure love and admiration.

I remember during my University years here, I loved being with you and Aunty at home. Although I had my own apartment and was living right near Campus I used to run home to be with the both of you. I was always welcomed with open arms and slowly it became my own home. Uncle, for me coming to Edmonton will never be the same. It will be very tough for me to come back and not be able to enjoy our late night conversations. I will miss talking with you about everything under the sun while sipping our endless cups of ginger tea. Your words of advice, your words of support and comfort ­– all will be missed.

The last time we met I was able to exchange a few words with you and for that I am truly grateful. I thank Waheguruji for that opportunity.

Uncle, you always made me feel special. After I got married the amount of warmth and affection Madhav & I have received from you is unparallelled. I am also extremely thankful that Karambir met you this summer and that you two developed a bond.

There are very few relationships in life like the one we have.  I feel extremely humbled & honoured that you accepted me as your daughter. I will tell my children how special their grandfather was. Your absence has created a void in my life which can never be filled.  You will be greatly missed!

 From Madhav, my parents  and the rest of our family we Love you and Miss you.

Love,
Simrit

Comments

jaya said…
simrit, ur writings really topuch me...i again have tears, though i havent met ur uncle!!! go on, u will write a book one day....!!!!!

Popular Posts