Parents

Everyone says you will truly appreciate your parents only after you become a parent yourself.
I think that statement is very accurate. At least for myself.
In the early days after my son's birth, I became extremely clingy with my mother, much to my husband's surprise.
 I consider my relationship with my parents very normal and healthy. As children, my brother and I knew that Mom and Dad were the bosses. Mom less, Dad more. We weren't afraid of them, yet we knew not to cross the line. Mom was more the playmate, Dad was .. well, Dad. As we became 'young adults', aka teenagers, communication increased, well meaningful conversation. We could go to them when we were down, talk to them about school, teachers, friends. Not the opposite sex, that was sort of taboo. But, somewhere in our twenties, our parents became our friends. Anything big, good or bad, sad or happy, needed to be shared with them. We didn't always agree on everything, that's not normal, but we still shared everything. It came to a point where I personally turned to my father more than my mother for advice and help. Today, as I am getting closer to 40, I see myself as needing to take care of them more. They are still very independent, knock on wood. But I feel the role reversal slowly happening.
A few months ago, in the early throes of motherhood, when everything was confusing and tiring, I found myself clinging to my mother. My eyes would well up when she would leave me and I spent far more time at my parents home than I ever had since I got married. I would feel safe and relaxed around her. It could also be due to the fact that she would always, more than willingly, take care of the baby while I slept a few more hours, or just relaxed. But, it was more than that. The fact was that I only truly appreciated all that my mother had done for me after I had my son.
 I have never thought of myself as selfish and I have always been appreciative of what everyone around me. But, this was a new level of appreciation.
Parents will be parents and they will irritate you, frustrate you and just make you downright mad, but at the end of the day I can truly say I Love my parents and appreciate all they have done from the bottom of my heart.
My Mom will always be my friend, my playmate and my soul sister.
My Dad will always be The Rock, the guide, the business Guru and the Go-To Guy.
They are both awesome Grandparents and I hope and pray my son grows to know them well.

Comments

Popular Posts