FED UP!!




Why do we give up so easily? 


Are we a generation of quitters?


Whether its relationships, jobs, home, projects, whatever, more and more of us just give up! The attitude is We tried,
it didn't work out,
lets move on.

There was a time, not so long ago when it was common to meet people who would start their careers with a company and stay with them til they retired. It was seen negatively if you had been job hopping every two years. Eventually, it would have been difficult to get a job if your track record showed short stints in different companies. It implied you were the kind of person who couldn't commit to anything hence would not make for a good employee.

Today, my friends and cousins tell me that if you continue working in the same company for a period of 5 years or more, you are termed as a professional 'LOSER'. Today, it implies that you were not good enough to get a job elsewhere.

A cousin of mine recently told me, that he wants to marry into his community. Having lived in Canada for most of his life (about 30 years) and having had a few broken relationships there, he told me his take on Indian relationships. 'When you fight, Indian men and women don't question the relationship. Basically, you fight, you get upset and you move on.' I hope it didn't hurt his feelings too much when I fell on the floor laughing! Its irrelevant what I told him but my reaction did remove his misconception about so called 'traditional cultures'. This may have been the case 20 years ago but that was just as true for the rest of the world. This is the age of 'instant gratification'. ( this is a favourite phrase of mine.) I want to be happy NOW! I want to be on a high NOW! I want to be excited RIGHT NOW!!

Gone are the days when a good relationship meant stability. Today a good relationship means excitement. 'My wife is awesome, she wants to do it every night!' '
'My husband takes me on exotic vacations, three times a year!'
I am exaggerating but you catch the drift.

What is wrong? Are we afraid of getting hurt? Are we afraid of being committed to someone else? Are we just plain impatient?

Whatever the answers to these questions may be, the truth is we are living in a world of surface satisfactions, which is why many of us never feel truly satisfied.Our relationships, our occupations, our homes, our lives, nothing gives us satisfaction anymore. So, the real question is :-

 What are we looking for?

It reminds me of a fitting Hindi song, 
"Hum Kis galli jaa rahen hai, hum kis galli jaa rahen hai. Apna koi thikaana nahin.'
It means, ' which road are we taking? We have no home.

Have you found what you are looking for?

Comments

jaya said…
simrit, sooooo true... i feel we have just stopped trying.. and our favourite pastime is to quit on things/people/jobs/etcetc..!!but i believe in making things work , and not giving up!! so cheers to the old school of thought that we share and hopefully we shud be proud of this one day~!!
Simrit said…
Thanks Jaya !! Your encouragement means Alot!!!
Unknown said…
Writing very well
Simrit said…
Thank you for your comments, R osd.

Popular Posts